How do you know that you are suffering from anxiety? People manifest fear and anxiety in different ways such as sweating on the palms when confronted with an overwhelming event or task. Indeed, most of us have probably felt anxious at some point and find it challenging to overcome this. If you’ve found yourself in such scenarios in the past, know that you’re not alone. The primary tip to overcome anxiety is to identify what triggers it and take some time to self-reflect. You can then use the following proven strategies to help you stay calm.
1. Take A Deep Breath;
2. Steer Away Negative Thoughts;
3. Go On A 15 Minutes’ Walk Or Yoga Session;
4. Aromatherapy Can Be A Great Reliever Of Anxiety;
5. Jot Down Your Anxiety Triggers;
6. Eat A Healthy Diet;
7. Reduce Caffeine And Alcohol;
8. Do Regular Exercise.
1. Take a deep breath
Critics claim that this never works but practicing focused deep breathing can help you a lot when faced with a challenging situation. Take 4 deep breaths lasting about 5 minutes. This reduces your heartbeat rate thus helping you calm down.
2. Steer away negative thoughts
Sometimes it is useful to learn to question your thought pattern. Try to avoid negative thoughts as they can distort the severity of your situation. The best way to achieve this is by challenging your fears, question their authenticity and determine how you can take control of your mind.
3. Go on a 15 minutes’ walk or yoga session
You may never be able to get rid of anxious thoughts until you get engrossed in something else. The situation may be there to stay but you can choose to walk away from it. Take some time and do what you like doing for a hobby. Take time to explore your body and not your mind. This is an excellent way to relieve your anxiety.
4. Aromatherapy can be a great reliever of anxiety
It comes in various forms such as candles, oils, incenses andscents like sandalwood and chamomile. These scents are very soothing, and can help shift your mind from troubling events or situations.
Aromatherapy helps in the activation of certain receptors in the brain thus relieving anxiety.
5. Jot down your anxiety triggers
Jotting down what makes you anxious helps to get it out ofyour mind thus making it less tormenting. This strategy is particularly relevant for people with sporadic anxiety. People with Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) can also achieve great results with this strategy.
People suffering from GAD shouldn’t focus on simple coping methods alone. They should also adopt other long-term strategies that will help lessen the symptoms severity and eventually wipe out the negative thoughts.
6. Eat a healthy diet
Don’t skip any meal and eat a well-balanced diet with enough nutritious foods to keep healthy and have energy boosts.
7. Reduce caffeine and alcohol
Excess alcohol and caffeine are known to trigger panic attacks and aggravate anxiety.
8. Do regular exercise
Daily exercises help you feel good and maintain good mental health. You can achieve this through the following exercise tips:
· Set specific and realistic goals– Aim at daily consistency instead of perfect workouts. Instead of waiting to go for a 4-hour marathon during the weekend, try a 20-minutes’ walk every day. Frequency and consistency are more important than the quantity of a workout.
· 5×30– walk, jog, bike or dance at least five times a week, for at least 30 minutes.
· Get the best exercise for your group – there are different forms of exercise, all fun and enjoyable. If you are an extrovert, enroll in a class or group activity. Introverts often prefer solo pursuits.
· Listen to some cool music – distract your mind with an iPod or any other device to download music, podcasts or audiobooks. Some people will find it easier to get rid of negative thoughts if they listen to something else they find interesting or entertaining.
· Be patient – a new exercise program requires you to be patient. It may take you anywhere between 4-8 weeks to get relief from your anxiety.
For more support and advice, sign up to my online personal training app.